Friday, March 25, 2005

 

Seven Last Words

The Latin is from Biblia Sacra iuxta Vulgatam Clementinam. Nova Editio ... Quarta Editio (Madrid: Biblioteca de Autores Cristianos, 1965). The English is from the King James version.
  1. Luke 23.34: Pater, dimitte illis: non enim sciunt quid faciunt. (Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.)
  2. Luke 23.43: Amen dico tibi: Hodie mecum eris in Paradiso. (Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.)
  3. John 19.26-27: Mulier, ecce filius tuus ... Ecce mater tua. (Woman, behold thy son! ... Behold thy mother!)
  4. Mark 15.34 (Matthew 27.46): Deus meus, Deus meus, ut quid dereliquisti me? (My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?)
  5. John 19.28: Sitio. (I thirst.)
  6. John 19.30: Consummatum est. (It is finished.)
  7. Luke 23.46: Pater, in manus tuas commendo spiritum meum. (Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit.)
No matter where you stand on the tragic Schiavo case, the fifth word is especially poignant today.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?