Monday, May 10, 2010

 

The Search of Knowledge

Conyers Middleton (1683-1750), A Free Inquiry into the Miraculous Powers, Which are Supposed to have Subsisted in the Christian Church..., Preface:
I persuade myself, that the life and faculties of man, at the best but short and limited, cannot be employed more rationally or laudably, than in the search of knowledge; and especially of that sort, which relates to our duty, and conduces to our happiness. In these Inquiries therefore, wherever I perceive any glimmering of truth before me; I readily pursue, and endeavour to trace it to its source; without any reserve or caution of pushing the discovery too far, or opening too great a glare of it to the public. I look upon the discovery of any thing which is true, as a valuable acquisition to society; which cannot possibly hurt, or obstruct the good effect of any other truth whatsoever: for they all partake of one common essence, and necessarily coincide with each other; and like the drops of rain, which fall separately into the river, mix themselves at once with the stream, and strengthen the general current.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?