Friday, August 26, 2011

 

A Joy

I.F. Stone, The Trial of Socrates (Boston: Little, Brown and Company, 1988; rpt. New York: Anchor Books), p. xi:
In my day, even in a country high school, one had four years of Latin to prepare for college, and Catullus and Lucretius were among my early enthusiasms. But I had only one semester of Greek in college before I dropped out in my junior year.

I decided in retirement to learn enough Greek to be able to grapple with conceptual terms for myself. I started on my own with a bilingual edition of the Gospel of St. John, then went on to the first book of the Iliad. But the study of Greek soon led me far afield into the Greek poets and Greek literature generally. Their exploration continues to be a joy.
Johann Hamza, An Old Man Reading

Labels:




<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?