Sunday, September 18, 2011

 

In the Stillness of the Night

Alexander Pushkin (1799-1837), Remembrance, translated by Maurice Baring in Have You Anything to Declare? (1936; rpt. London: William Heinemann Ltd., 1951), p. 244:
When the loud day for men who sow and reap
Grows still, and on the silence of the town
The insubstantial veils of night and sleep,
The meed of the day's labour, settle down,
Then for me in the stillness of the night
The wasting, watchful hours drag on their course,
And in the idle darkness comes the bite
Of all the burning serpents of remorse;
Dreams seethe; and fretful infelicities
Are swarming in my over-burdened soul,
And Memory before my wakeful eyes
With noiseless hand unwinds her lengthy scroll.
Then, as with loathing I peruse the years,
I tremble, and I curse my natal day,
Wail bitterly, and bitterly shed tears,
But cannot wash the woeful script away.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?