Tuesday, January 07, 2014

 

A May Game

Ralph Waldo Emerson, Journals (June 6, 1839):
My life is a May game, I will live as I like. I defy your strait-laced, weary, social ways and modes. Blue is the sky, green the fields and groves, fresh the springs, glad the rivers, and hospitable the splendor of sun and star. I will play my game out. And if any shall say me nay, shall come out with swords and staves against me to prick me to death for their foolish laws, come and welcome. I will not look grave for such a fool's matter. I cannot lose my cheer for such trumpery. Life is a May game still.
Oxford English Dictionary, under May game, sense 2.b:
A foolish or extravagant action or performance; a frolic, caper, or entertainment.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?