Wednesday, November 18, 2015

 

A Walk in the Woods

A poem by Heinrich Heine (1797-1856), tr. Louis Untermeyer:
I shall go and walk in the woods a space,
Where flowers are gay and birds are singing;
For when I am once laid six feet under,
With eyes and ears that are closed to wonder,
I shall not see one flower lift its face
Nor hear one bird's song set the silence ringing.
The same, tr. Hal Draper:
I will to the greening woods away
Where flowers are blooming and birds are singing;
For once the grave becomes my berth,
My eyes and ears are stopped with earth,
I'll see no flowers blooming gay,
Nor hear a bird's song sweetly ringing.
The German:
Ich will mich im grünen Wald ergehn,
Wo Blumen sprießen und Vögel singen;
Denn wenn ich im Grabe einst liegen werde,
Ist Aug und Ohr bedeckt mit Erde,
Die Blumen kann ich nicht sprießen sehn,
Und Vögelgesänge hör ich nicht klingen.



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?